Friday, June 29, 2012

Month 11, Week 1: Copyright Issues

The information presented on Fair Use clarified several things for me. I believe, up until now, I was following loosely the rules established. I have always asked permission before using music in my classroom, for teaching purposes, and I have clarified somewhat the issues for my students. Listening and observing the video has more clearly defined what I am able to use. I'm excited to share these clarifications with my students. 


Other issues about remix have always had me wondering how they can do that. Many folks believe that new content is not being created. How can we be 'inspired' by past creation? The fair use right is rooted in the first amendment. The attorney clarified that we must 'use or lose it". I love that it follows reason and logic and is not 'black and white'.  We must ask ourselves "What is normal, particularly in the field?"  I hope to have the students write about fair use, perhaps use a case study that is complicated in order that they may understand how complicated the issues are. 


A rule of thumb is to always credit your sources. 

3 comments:

  1. Kat, I agree with your views wholeheartedly. The videos we watched this past week increased our level of awareness to the point where we can even engage our own students in a discussion regarding the matter. I think it’s a great idea, and I’m glad that there is the Fair Use Policy website by the organization to help educate on the subject. The website has many resources that are free to use and reproduce (great idea as well) so that we, as teachers, can feel confident bringing the topic to the classroom. And yes, ‘always credit your sources.’

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat,
    It is very hard to adhere completely with copyright law in this day and age. The Internet has completely changed the game in regard to how we have access to media. Students generally have no clue about copyright, nor does it seem that they care. When I have students create a mix in my audio class, my first rule of thumb is to make it original. It's ok if the beat sounds like a previously recorded one, as long as you make it your own and don't blatantly steal a loop or sample. In music there are so many ways to get in trouble with this, but there are only so many chords, progressions, and rhythms that you are bound to repeat something an artist already did.
    And yes, if you credit your source, you are always better off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interaction with the issues... It is complicated. One thing that tends to get lost in the discussion is that it is a part of how humans learn to become artists and musicians, is to copy what came before, what inspires them and then when they become competent in their craft to push the art or music forward. Some forget this and treat this normal function of learning into criminal behavior when they should be supporting it. Where are the future musicians and artists going to come from (and make money for the media companies!) if they're told that copying is stealing or when schools are sued for teaching the next generation of artists and musicians.

    ReplyDelete