Sunday, July 22, 2012

Wk 3: Reading Response to Julia Hutchinson's Post on the Art of Possibility Ch 5-8

Julia's Post:  

Week 3 / Blog 1 – The Art of Possibility (Ch. 5-8)
I started this week’s reading while on my train commute into NYC. The quiet ride (despite sharing a train car with 250 other riders) was briefly interrupted by my “Wow!” response to page 68:
 It’s so true! The conductor doesn’t make a sound at all. Yet it is his influence and ability to empower others to make beautiful music that counts. I immediately applied the principle to my role as an instructor. It doesn’t matter how great of a designer I may be. Any determination of greatness lies in the work that my students produce. It lies in my ability to help them become problem solvers and critical thinkers. The students our program graduates are, in many ways, a reflection and the product of the instruction they receive. Now, is it a direct correlation? Is there an absolute cause and effect relationship between the quality of instruction and the demonstrated competency of the student? No. There are too many other factors to consider. However, the principle of empowerment and influence simply cannot be undermined.

My Response:

I had the same "wha?" experience. I had never really reflected on it. What I love about listening to this book, particularly at my age, is that we process information on a deeper level due to more life experiences. A sentence may trigger a whole series of related matrices of thought and emotions. I additionally am a design instructor. At times, I go off on tangents too that are triggered. Lately, I have been much more aware of these triggers. I believe it is my responsibility to guide students through these same processes, yet teach them to filter unimportant ideas and concepts. I teach them to redirect those thoughts into creating designs. As a designer, the more in tune you are with the subconscious forces that influence your ideas, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment